16.3.10

The Dang Good Rice Dish



Couldn't think of a name for this recipe. My friend Ash and I refer to it as that "dang good rice dish." When one of us makes it, we share it with the other because the leftovers just keep getting better each day, and then before you know it, the goodness is gone. I'm so glad for great friends, ones that share the world with you. So this dish reminds me of good friends, I'm grateful for them. This salad came about from an awesome friend who doesn't know jealousy and shares with all. I love her. Last week I shared it with my sister and mom, we hoped our bowls would never empty, and between each bite, a pleasant mmmmm was hummed. Your turn, I'm sharing with you now.

That Dang Good Rice Dish
with peppers, asparagus, almonds, green onions, and avocado
(perfect for spring and summer when a lot of this stuff is in season and even local)
2 small boxes of Uncle Ben's Wild Grain Rice (I have never used this, I have used wild rice from Costco, and short brown organic brown rice. Both ways works)
2-3 chicken breasts cooked and chopped up
4 green onions chopped up (use the whole thing)
3 peppers (red, yellow, orange) (I've of course used any combo of these, Reams seems to always have them on sale. They add color and a good crunch)
1 bundle of asparagus steamed (not to much though) and cut up
1 cup almonds chopped
2 avocados

the dressing
1 Tbl Garlic
1 Tbl Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp sugar, salt, and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup season rice vinegar
juice from one lemon
(make a little extra dressing, perhaps 1 1/2 times it because there is so much salad. or just be generous when measuring. you'll be happy you did)

mix dressing in with the salad and put avocados on top at the end.

2 comments:

byoung said...

shoot now all my asparagus is gone, guess i will have to get some more because i have to try this! sounds delicious!!

Natalie Felt said...

I made this for dinner tonight. It was a big hit. Hubby couldn't get enough of it. Can't wait to eat again for leftovers tomorrow.