29.3.12

Incredible Holt Energy Bars


We made these for our good friend Jeremy for his birthday.
Energy Bars
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • 8-9 dates
  • (Then I added a drop.. just a drop of agave to make it more appealing for the kids. You could also add honey)
Blended it all up in our Vita-Mix.  Once all combined, I pressed it into chunks.
After we decided we liked it, we began to experiment by adding:
  • non sweetened coconut
  • sesame seeds
  • Hemp seeds
  • pumpkin seeds
What I love: They are gluten free, full of fiber, they are non-dairy, vegan, and they pack a bunch of calories and healthy fat right into a tiny little bar.  Not for your average snacking- but perfect for hiking and long stretches of time when you don’t want to carry much food.
homemade larabar

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Will a blender or food processor work? I haven't seen dates for sale here in TX. :(

Natalie Felt said...

Thanks for sharing. I want to try this.

@udj said...

@arlene
The original recipe said to use a food processor, I just don't have one.
I can mail you some dates.