Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash & Sausage
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 and 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, diced to 1-inch
- olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Italian sausage links (I used hot Italian)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- fresh parsley and/or oregano, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (375 degrees F convection). In a large bowl, toss butternut squash and onion with a good drizzle of olive oil and a liberal sprinkle of salt & pepper. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven, turning once or twice, until squash edges are crispy and browning, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from its casing. Coat the bottom of a medium (4 or 5-quart) Dutch oven very lightly with olive oil (just enough to get browning started) and bring to a shimmer over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spatula, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is nicely browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add oregano, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add quinoa and water; stir, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until quinoa is fluffed and water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add roasted squash & onion to the quinoa. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped fresh parsley or oregano. Serve warm.
Serves 4 as a main dish; 8 as a side with soup or salad.