30.12.11

crispy Oriental Salad


crispy Oriental Salad

Bookmark and Share
 Dinner [D]  Lunch [L]  Snack [S]

CRISPY ORIENTAL SALAD

Ingredients
1 head of cabbage chopped (I use half purple, half green)
4 green onions- chopped finely
2 carrots- shredded
3/4 cup raw almonds- chopped
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds

Dressing
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 TBS lemon juice (juice of 1 large lemon)
<1/4 cup olive oil
    I use light tasting oil because extra virgin is too strong for me-
    also I usually don't use the full 1/4 cup)


DIRECTIONS
Mix cabbage, green onions and carrots together in a bowl.  Add the raw nuts and mix thoroughly. (I chop my almonds in my mini food processor).
In a separate bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together.
Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until evenly coated.


By itself- this recipe is SUPER healthy!  All raw ingredients (except the oil- which probably could be ommitted if needed).


For a little more flavor- Add ORANGE PEANUT DRESSING over the top.
You will LOVE it!  SO YUMMY!!!

Eat the salad by itself, or in a whole wheat pita.  Add some FALAFEL to make it a more complete dinner.

I love having this in my fridge for an easy quick meal.  My 5 year old eats this recipe great.  My 3 year old has a hard time getting it in his mouth without it falling everywhere- but we are trying.

ORANGE PEANUT DRESSING

INGREDIENTS
1/2 CUP FRESH ORANGE JUICE
1/4 CUP RICE VINEGAR
2 TBS PEANUT BUTTER
1/4 CUP RAW CASHEWS
1 TSP BRAGG LIQUID AMINOS OR LOW-SODIUM SOY SAUCE
1/4 INCH PIECE OF FRESH GINGER, PEELED
1 CLOVE OF GARLIC
A PINCH OF CAYENNE PEPPER

DIRECTIONS
BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS IN A HIGH POWERED BLENDER UNTIL SMOOTH.
THIS WILL THICKEN A LOT WHEN COOLED IN THE FRIDGE.

www.wholefoodmommies.com

No comments: